Lake George. New York

Old Fort House Museum
Fort Edward New York.

The Old Fort House Museum was constructed by Patrick Smyth in 1772. Smythe was arrested at the house in 1777 by General Benedict Arnold for being a loyalist to the British Crown. During the Revolutionary War, the house was used by both British and American troops as headquarters. American General Stark erected a stockade fence around the house and for a time the building was called Fort Stark.

Another owner of the house was Dr. John Cochran, George Washington's personal surgeon and the first Surgeon General of the American Army. In July 1783, General George Washington dined at the house twice on his way to and from Crown Point, bringing with him another future President, James Monroe. George Washington, General Schuyler, Arnold. Old Fort House Campus Fort Edward, New York

Web Site

Loading -  Please Wait

Publisher: Delphi Communications   |   23 Harrison Boulevard, West Harrison, NY 10604
Phone: 914-725-8000   |   e-mail: info@nyshy   |   Copyright   |   Disclaimer   |   Privacy